For many years, Burundi coffee has been compared with Rwandan coffee. Typically, this coffee has a citrus delicate taste. Additionally, it has received many praises from all over the world for its fruiter sweetness and a pleasant aroma.
Originally, this coffee was grown as a cash crop by the Belgium Administration when they were colonizing the country. After the cultivation of coffee in Belgium managed plantations, coffee was later to be exported to the European country and other countries where Belgium was colonizing. Just like in other countries, the Burundi people were not allowed to cultivate this plant. They were paid peanuts for their hard work in coffee plantations.
The Bestselling Burundi Coffees Reviewed – October 2021
- Flavor Profile: Blackberry, Candied Peach, Butterscotch, Chocolate. Balanced, Medium Bodied Coffee With Rich Flavors.
- Specialty Arabica Coffee From Mountainous Kayanza Region. Washed Processed. Premium African Coffee With Similar Taste to Kenya AA, Rwanda Green Coffee.
- Specialty Grade Green Coffee. Whole Beans. Fresh Harvested Top Coffee Lot.
- Green Coffee Beans For Roasting. Roast to Fit Taste. Light, Medium Roast Recommended.
- Packaged in 2-ply Foil Bag With Air Valve. Starter Sampler Size Pack For At-Home Coffee Roaster.
- BURUNDI COFFEE: 12oz Bag of Freshly roasted Burundi Mugano Whole Bean Coffee from Good As Gold Coffee Roasters
- FLAVOR PROFILE: Tangerine, Dried Fruit, with a bright sweet acidity and a smooth body
- ABOUT THE BEAN: This Burundi coffee is grown in one of the highest regions of Burundi. It actually takes the coffee cherries longer to ripen which gives more time for the sugars to develop and mature leaving you with a bright and sweet brew.
- AIR ROASTED TO PERFECTION: Our custom built advanced Air Roaster produces coffee that is brighter in flavor and cleaner than traditional roasting methods.
- A FAMILY BUSINESS OF 50 YEARS: Good As Gold Coffee Roasters is a family business that has been providing delicious, high-quality coffee at a great value for over 50 years!
- DISTINCTLY RICH FLAVOR - Taste the distinct flavor of our Burundi Kavugangoma whole bean coffee. These specialty coffee beans have hints of tamarind, black tea and brown sugar with a satiny body.
- SINGLE ORIGIN FOR SUPERIOR TASTE & QUALITY - Mt. Whitney’s Burundi Kavugangoma is a single-origin coffee, composed of a single crop. Single-origin coffees accentuate certain flavor attributes specific to a region, and are of superior taste and quality.
- FRESH COFFEE, ROASTED TO ORDER - Mt. Whitney Coffee Roasters takes pride in offering the best specialty coffees from around the world. Our coffees are carefully sourced and selected by our Q Grade Certified Specialist. Our whole coffee beans are hand-roasted every day by our Master Roaster ensuring a fresh cup of coffee.
- UNEQUALED FRESHNESS AND FLAVOR - Our whole bean coffee is packaged in a high-quality, three-layered aluminum bag with a one-way freshness valve. All air is vacuumed out of the bag and nitrogen is injected to prevent oxidation of the coffee.
- BREW IT YOUR WAY - Our roasted coffee beans work with most coffee makers letting you enjoy your cup of coffee exactly the way you want. Our coffees can also be used in a Keurig coffee maker with a reusable single cup basket to make a fresh cup of delicious coffee.
- Flavor Notes: Peach, Berry Jam, Caramel, Tamarind, Milk Chocolate
- Direct Trade, Fair Trade Certified, High Altitude Burundi Coffee from Kayanza Region.
- Medium Roasted Whole Bean Coffee - Artisan roasted in small batches to develop remarkable taste.
- Freshness Guarantee - Fresh roasted coffee, packed & sealed to lock in flavor.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- Award Winning Coffee : Barbarossa Coffee been awarded from nextdoor app by the consumers rates in 2017-2018-2019. It means you are purchasing a high end handcrafted artisan roasted specialty coffee bean
- Amazing Tasting Notes: Burundi Coffee has natural single origin coffee exhibits a clean, delicate sweet berry, natural flavor with a rich body and acidity. It means you are purchasing a high end handcrafted artisan roasted specialty coffee bean. Barbarossa Coffee not only serves its customers great tasting coffee but also gives them the opportunity to find their own favorite tastes and to get to know about what type of coffee beans they enjoy
- We Brew With Love: It all started with the dream of Coffeeman and Navy veteran Ozzy Guragac. Burundi Natural Bean is Roasted by a Coffeeman in an Individual Batch With Love. Rich Berry like Aroma Making it Perfect for Many Brewing Methods: Espresso maker, aeropress, For a truly pure experience, we recommend brewing with a french press or manual pour over
- Natural Premium Quality: Barbarossa Coffee try to develop more varieties of coffee so that you can select the coffee bean and brewing method of your choice, and it’s possible to customize your blend of coffee beans and even take your own blend home
- Your Trust Is Our Priority: Barbarossa coffee beans are roasted to perfection in order to ensure impeccable taste. We believe so deeply in our product that if you don’t love our coffee, we’ll fully refund the order, no questions asked
- Premium Arabica Green Coffee Beans / Taste Notes – Strawberry – Kiwi – With A Bright Lemon Acidity
- Northern African Coffee – Burundi Coffee – Varietal-Bourbon – Altitude-1400-1750M – Region Kirimiro
- Drying/Milling Process Washed Sun Dried on Raised Beds – TEKA Mill/Washing Stations
- Fresh Current Crop – The Kirimiro Region Of Burundi Is Known For Producing Great Specialty Coffees
- Processed At TEKA Washing Station, Well-Known For Meticulous Processing of Cup Of Excellence Coffees
- CARVER'S DREAM - Carver’s Dream is a bright, fruit forward espresso blend of Guatemala & Burundi coffees - a combination of medium fresh roasted coffee that dictates balanced sweetness and rich, warm body.
- AWARD WINNING COFFEE - Red Bay Coffee is a multiple medal winner at the world’s largest coffee roaster competition, Golden Bean North America. From seed to cup, Red Bay is devoted to sourcing, roasting and delivering the best and most beautiful single origin whole bean coffee to the people. We work globally to source high quality, sustainable and direct trade coffee.
- TASTING PROFILE - Carver's Dream tasting profile consists of cherry compote, almond paste, and dark chocolate in each satisfying cup.
- WHOLE BEAN SINGLE ORIGIN COFFEE - Red Bay Carver's Dream is sourced directly from Guatemala & Burundi. We source our coffee beans from direct agreements with sustainable farms around the world. Red Bay Coffee supports local agricultural development.
- ROASTED IN OAKLAND - Our coffee is roasted in Oakland and to ensure top freshness for upto 90 days they are packaged in a sealed yet resealable pouch with one way degassing valve.
- Artisanal Small Batch Coffee At Its Finest: Quite simply the best way to drink premium coffee at an affordable price. This 12-oz pack of Motherland is freshly roasted in small batches at our headquarters in Oakland, California. It's the perfect gift for yourself or that special coffee lover in your life.
- Wake Up To Award Winning Flavor & Quality: Whether you prefer classic espresso, machine drip, french press, aero, or some other method, rest assured that this sampler pack delights even those with the most discerning coffee palette. Grind the whole beans through your favorite grinder, deeply inhale the aromatic scents, and savor the wonderful flavor notes of Orange Blossom, Turbinado Sugar, and Damson Plum.
- Ethically Sourced Through Direct Trade To Ensure Everyone Wins: All of our coffee beans are 100% ethically sourced through direct trade (better than fair trade) agreements that result in consistently high-quality beans, and generous wages for our farmers. Every purchase you make supports the livelihood of our farmers (and their families) all around the globe - everyone wins!
- Black Owned, Certified B-Corp, Second Chance Employer Because We Care: Our mission is to bring people of all colors and backgrounds together to celebrate community in the ritual of coffee. We're working tirelessly to instill values of inclusivity, diversity, and development locally here in the USA, as well as in our farming communities located in countries throughout Mother Earth.
- World-Class Customer Service You Can Count On: We guarantee you will love our coffee and invite you to give it a try. If for any reason you aren't thrilled, we invite you to reach out to our customer service team and we'll do whatever it takes to make you smile. Enjoy our collection of Jamaican, Ethiopian, Columbian, Cuban, Indonesian, & African light, dark, medium, and decaf roasts, in small-batch or in bulk, using any brew method you prefer to get the caffeine boost you crave. 🙂
- 1 / 12oz bag of Burundi Kinyovu Coffee Beans from Airis Coffee Roasters
- ROAST: MEDIUM CUPPING PROFILE: Pineapple, hibiscus, green tea, toffee
- A direct trade coffee from the Kinyovu Wash Station.
- This Burundi coffee is an International Women's Coffee Alliance (IWCA) certified.
- Discover Air Roasted Coffee and Experience Taste Beyond Compare.
- Flavor Profile: Peach, Orange Blossom, Hibiscus, Vanilla, Chocolate
- Direct Trade Tanzanian AA coffee from reputable Shari Estate in Mount Kilimanjaro. High Elevation coffee of Bourbon Variety. Washed Processed
- 100% Specialty Arabica. Premium African Coffee with Similar Taste to Kenya AA, Burundi, Rwanda Green Coffee Beans.
- Roast Green Coffee Beans to Fit Taste. Medium Roast Recommended
- Packaged Fresh in 2-ply Foil Bag with Air Valve. Perfect for At-Home Roasters
Processing of Burundi Coffee
Coffee in Burundi is grown and produced by small scale farmers. This is the same case in most countries all over the world. They cultivate coffee in micro plots. The majority of these plots are less than an acre. After picking the coffee cherries from the coffee farm, they are taken to centralized stations where they are processed. Getting a single bean from the original farm is close to impossible simply because the coffee is usually sold in single stations.
It is worth noting that coffee in Burundi is processed with ultimate carefulness. The concentration employed in processing this coffee is to make sure that the overall quality of the coffee is not compromised. The processing of coffee in this country is characterized by extensive sorting out and washing. Again, the coffee will undergo fermentation. The reason behind this is to ensure consistency in quality. Actually, the mode of processing coffee in this country is similar to that used in Kenya.
After the coffee beans are de-pulped, they are later fermented for 24 hours. From there, they are soaked for at least 12 hours. To sort out the density of the coffee beans, it is mandatory for the coffee beans to undergo a floating process. The last step in processing coffee is drying them on tables or raised beds.
You might be aware that coffee was first grown in Burundi in the 1930s. The main coffee variety grown in this country is the Arabica. Actually, the Arabica variety is grown in almost every region in Burundi. At least one million farmers depend directly on coffee. Small scale farmers own about 250 coffee plants each.
Unfortunately, coffee growing in Burundi has not been there without problems too. It has been subjected to constant civil wars and political instability. This has affected the production of coffee which has in turn lowered the amount of coffee Burundi used to export to the world coffee market. As for now, the country’s export market is very promising. It is the coffee brokers from Burundi who ensure that the Burundi coffee is available for wholesaling in the market. However, there has been a lot of complaints about the overall consistency of coffee quality.
The most common flavor of Burundi coffee is red fruit sweetness. You will also like the dark chocolate like.